Growing up, I looked at avocados with disgust. They were green and mushy…not something I was very fond of. My family must not have been either because I don’t ever remember my mom buying an avocado…EVER!
A few years ago I had an avocado on a salad and I had a quick change of heart. It was really good! I started buying avocados and now make homemade guacamole. The kids love it!
Last week I decided to get creative with Hass Avocados from Mexico. (Did you know that Hass Avocados are the only avocados that are available 12 months a year in all 50 states?)
Here’s what I did…I received my avocados and checked for the ripeness of each one. Green avocados need ripening, green with dark green patches are almost ripe and almost black are ripe and ready! If you keep them at room temperature for 3-7 days they will continue ripening or to speed up the process put them in a paper bag. To slow down the process you can put them in your fridge.
I decided to make a “Freakish Fingerful” bread bowl to hold the “Spookamole.”
- 1 package of croissants
- 2 Hass Avacados
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/8 cup chives, finely chopped
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon lime juice, fresh squeezed
- 1/3rd of a peeled cucumber, diced
- 1 Tablespoon sour cream (put in baggie for piping spiderweb)
- I used a tube of croissants and fanned them out on a round stone. I made sure that the middle would be covered since that was the base of my bowl.
- I added foil crunched in a circle so I could bake the fingers so they would look like they would be holding the Spookamole.
- I had one finger that fell during baking so I added a toothpick to it while it cooled, which worked perfectly. Once the bread was cooled and was close to serving time I added some of our ripe cherry tomatoes right from our garden. I halved them and added a little cream cheese to the fingertips to act as a glue and put the red fingernails on. (Another option would be to put black olives as the fingertips and make a spider out of an olive and place it in the spookamole.)
- Add the avocados to bowl and mash with a fork. Add all ingredients and mix together. Once all ingredients have been combined, add spookamole into the Freakishly Fingerbowl. Add a tablespoon of sour cream into a baggie and cut a small corner off of the bag. Pipe several circles on the spookamole, then take a tooth pick and pull the circles so that it looks like a spiderweb. Adorn with plastic spiders or make some with black olives. Enjoy!
Looks delicious doesn’t it? Check out the recipe contest here. Do you have a fun festive way to make avocado’s spooky? Come and enter the contest with me!
Disclosure: I wrote this review while participating in a Spookamole blog tour by Mom Central Consulting on behalf of Avocados from Mexico and received avocado items to facilitate my review and a promotional item to thank me for taking the time to participate.