Years ago, we attended a family BBQ for all our preschool kids. Michelle was our host and she made the most delicious baked beans ever. I only knew of the kind that came out of a can…sad but true! Hers are simple and probably considered “doctored up” baked beans. I don’t really care what you call them, all I know is they are delicious!
I modified the baked beans this last week while making them for Easter. I am on an “eat healthier” kick so I lightened up the recipe and they were delicious. The only thing we gave up was extra calories.
Here is the recipe. I will share how I made it and the original recipe.
- 1 16 oz. can kidney beans (drain and rinsed)
- 1 16 oz. can cannellini beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 16 oz. can pinto beans (drained and rinsed)
- 2 28 oz. cans pork and beans (1 drained, 1 undrained)
- 1 pound turkey bacon (or regular bacon) cut into bite size pieces
- 1/2 cup Splenda brown sugar (or 1 cup brown sugar)
- 1 large onion (diced into small pieces)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- Brown turkey bacon in a large skillet, do not drain.
- Once browned, add diced onion and cook until translucent.
- Add beans.
- Now add brown sugar, garlic powder, mustard and vinegar.
- Add a couple tablespoons of brown sugar if you desire.
- Transfer to crockpot or large casserole dish and heat/bake for 60-75 minutes.
All I can say is “YUM!” I will be making this again soon! Enjoy!